Introducing the Ultimaker 3 and Ultimaker 3 Extended
September 20, 2023
Today, Ultimaker launches their new Ultimaker 3 and Ultimaker 3 Extended desktop 3D printers. Some of the key new features are as follows:
Check out our video for a comprehensive tour of all the new features in the Ultimaker 3 and the new and improved Cura software!
Learn more about the line of Ultimaker 3D printers HERE.
1. Dual extrusion - Ultimaker has introduced an ingenious new method for producing clean dual extrusion prints. A mechanical switch lifts one extruder so that it's out of the way when the other extruder is printing. This opens up a wide range of possibilities for printing complex geometries using PVA water soluble filament, as well as dual color printing capabilities.
2. Swappable print cores - With the Ultimaker 2+ there used to be only swappable nozzles. With the Ultimaker 3, the user can now replace the entire print core to easily switch between materials in seconds.
3. Connectivity - The user can start prints through the network, update firmware and easily integrate with printer networking solutions.
4. Active bed leveling - The new Ultimaker 3 can compensate for minor bed leveling issues by automatically adjusting the amount of filament extruded for the first several layers in the appropriate parts of a printed object.
5. NFC (Near Field Communication) - There is a chip on the filament holder and a reader on the spool holder of the printer that identifies which material is being put on. Cura, the slicing software, adjusts the settings automatically to the best settings for this material.
6. Built-in camera - The user can now watch your print through Cura when located on the same WIFI network.
7. USB - If the user does not want to start prints through the network, they can load gcode onto a USB stick and print from there.
More 3D Universe blog posts:
Learn more about Ultimaker from our conversation with one of the founders, Erik de Bruijn, HERE.